These festive miniature trifles are bursting with sweet pumpkin, creamy chocolate yogurt, fluffy vanilla whipped cream, and chewy cookies. They're the perfect fall dessert and are surprisingly easy to put together, plus there's something so whimsical and magical about a trifle. Thank you to @TheRogueBrusselSprout for this recipe!
The Perfect Fall Dessert
Fall is the time for all things pumpkin, and especially cozy, festive pumpkin desserts! With four different layers, these trifles are a symphony of different textures and flavors! Is there anything better than sweet pumpkin, creamy chocolate yogurt, fluffy vanilla whipped cream, and chewy gluten-free cookies all unified into a single dessert?
But don't worry, they're surprisingly easy to make! Each layer comes together in a flash, and layering them up is a blast. We're sure these will be a hit at all your fall occasions! They're delicious and much better for the body than a traditional trifle, but still delightfully whimsical and retro.
The best part about this dessert? Trifles are just plain FUN! Unlike other layered desserts, trifles aren't meant to be fussy. Rather, the whole point is to add in all the different elements in a somewhat chaotic fashion so that the appearance is humble and the eating experience is an adventure. Classics are classics for a reason, and it's hard to beat the accessible, fun-loving vibe of a trifle.
For the Cookie Layer
- Half a batch of Meli's Chocolate Chip Cookies, prepared according to the box directions
For the Pumpkin Layer
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Generous pinch of ginger
- Small pinch of nutmeg
- Small pinch of cardamon
For the Yogurt Layer
- 1/2 cup thick, unsweetened, unflavored yogurt of choice
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
For the Whipped Cream Layer
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Prepare the cookies according to the package directions and allow them to cool completely. Set aside 6-8 cookies for the trifles and save the others for enjoying at another time.
- Break the cookies up into chunks of different sizes.
- Measure and mix the ingredients for the pumpkin layer.
- Measure and mix the ingredients for the yogurt layer.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, whip the whipping cream and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Assemble the trifles into 4-6 small glasses, layering the cookies, pumpkin, chocolate yogurt, and whipped cream however you like. Set aside a large cookie chunk for garnishing the top of each trifle.
The best part about these adorable little trifles is how fun and accessible they are. No fussy desserts here! These are easy to make, use mostly pantry ingredients, and don't need to look perfect. These are even more delicious when they're a bit messy and feel really nostalgic and authentic. These are like something my grandma would have made.